Thanksgiving came and went so fast this week! How was your holiday? Did you spend it with family? How was the food? What did you eat?!
We had a fabulous Thanksgiving with our family this year. Everyone else ate the traditional homemade fare, but I took it easy and ordered a catered Thanksgiving vegan meal from Whole Foods. I really didn't want to coordinate vegan dishes with the family, nor did I want to cook a lot this year. My mother and I are the only vegans in the family, and the Whole Foods meal worked great for us. I thought for sure that it wouldn't be enough food, but it was and then some. We were left with plenty of extra food including the one thing that we always have left over: cranberry sauce.
My family loves cranberry sauce, but there's only so much of it that you can eat. In the past I've added it to quick breads and yogurt, but this year I went a little wild and added it to vegan tangerine jello.
Cranberry and citrus go so well together. It's a different sort of flavor combination, but it still evokes a sense of the holidays. During this time of year foods tend to be heavier in make and taste, but citrus is the exception. I eat a lot of it in the late Fall and Winter, and I think it's time that it got more love among popular holiday recipes.
This recipe couldn't be easier thanks to Bakol Jel Dessert. It works just like gelatin, but it's completely vegetarian. Here it's made with tangerine juice instead of water to give it that great juicy, citrusy sweetness. Delicious!
Tangerine and Cranberry Vegan Jel Dessert
Makes eight 1/2 cup servings
- 1 cup vegan cranberry sauce
- 4 cups tangerine juice
- 2 packages unflavored Bakol Jel Dessert
- vegan whipped cream (optional)
- 2 tablespoons dried cranberries (optional)
1. Evenly distribute the cranberry sauce among 8 ramekins (around 2 tablespoons a piece).
2. Bring the juice to a boil in a large pot over medium-high heat. Add the Bakol Jel Dessert to the juice and whisk it until it's completely dissolved.
3. Evenly pour the tangerine jel dessert over the cranberry sauce in each ramekin. Place the Tangerine and Cranberry Jel Dessert in the refrigerator for at least 4 hours to firm up. Serve with vegan whipped cream and dried cranberries if you're into that.