You know those friends that you only see every few years, but when you do it's like you were never apart? This recipe comes from one of those friends in my life. She is one of the smartest, patient and compassionate women I've ever known. She was a bridesmaid in my wedding, and will be a fixture in my heart forever. I should call her.
My husband and I like to boil up a bag of edamame to make this a full meal. I'm sure I've unintentionally changed the recipe over the years, but it remains delicious and always makes me think of my longtime friend.
Cucumber Kimchi - Serves 2
- 1 large cucumber
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 scallions, sliced
- red pepper flakes, pinch
- soy sauce, lots
- white rice for serving
1. With a peeler peel alternate lines in the cucumber like this. Slice the cucumber into thin slices.
2. Place the cucumbers in a shallow bowl and add the garlic, scallions and red pepper flakes. Stir to combine.
3. Pour enough soy sauce over the cucumbers until they're well doused. Not totally submerged, but well covered.
4. Refrigerate until ready to eat - at least 20 minutes. I like to make the kimchi right after I put my rice on, and let it marinate while the rice cooks.
5. Serve cold with cooked hot white rice.