I've always been in love with the expression "milk and honey" meaning: all good things. It's luxurious and nurturing. The phrase immediately takes me somewhere warm, soft and delicate.
Before going fully vegan I would drink steamed soy milk and honey regularly. It was comforting and lush. Luckily there are companies out there doing incredible things with vegan food. We're seeing a rise in great vegan honeys which include Just Like Honey Rice Nectar, Sohgave Honey Flavored Agave Nectar and Bee Free Honee. Now I can enjoy steamed soy milk and honey all over again! Not to mention other great milk and honey treats.
These Milk and Honey Rice Krispie Treats are really good. The honey flavor is prominent and rich with the almond milk offering a subtle and mellow cushion for the sweetness. Almond milk also replaces most of the margarine normally used in Rice Krispie Treats. It makes for a lower fat, creamier and softer treat. All good things.
Milk and Honey Rice Krispie Treats
- 2 tablespoons unsweetened almond milk
- 2 tablespoons vegan honey
- 1 teaspoon vegan margarine (I used Earth Balance)
- 10 ounces Dandies Vegan Marshmallows
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla
- 6 cups puffed rice cereal
1. In a large pot over medium heat, heat up the milk, honey and margarine until the margarine is melted. Add the Dandies and stir constantly until the marshmallows are completely melted. Resist the temptation to turn up the heat! The lower the heat, the more workable the coating.
2. Once the marshmallows are melted, remove the pot from the heat. Stir in the vanilla.
3. Add the rice cereal and stir to coat.
4. Pour the mixture into a greased 8x8" pan (or 9x13" if you prefer thinner treats) and press into the pan. Let them cool for 15-20 minutes before cutting into them.
5. Savor each bite, count your blessings and listen: