I made these for my Grandma's Super Bowl party and they vanished almost instantly. Oreos and brownies were made for each other!
Vegan Oreo Brownies
Adapted from The Ultimate Brownies on Veganbaking.net
- 3 Tbls. water
- 2 Tbls. flax meal
- 1 3/4 c. all-purpose flour
- 1/4 tsp. baking soda
- 7 Tbls. cocoa powder
- 4 oz semi-sweet chocolate, chopped
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 cup boiling water
- 1 1/2 cups sugar
- 6 Tbls Earth Balance
- 1 1/2 tsp. vanilla extract
- 16 Oreos, crushed
1. Preheat your oven to 350 and grease and flour an 8x8 inch baking dish.
2. Whisk together the water and flax meal. Set aside.
3. In a bowl, combine the flour and baking soda. Set aside.
4. In another bowl, combine the cocoa powder, chocolate and salt. Add the boiling water and stir thoroughly until the chocolate is melted and a paste is formed.
5. Add the sugar, earth balance and vanilla to the chocolate paste and stir to combine.
6. Add the flour to the chocolate mixture and stir to combine. It's going to be very thick and seem dry. Just keep stirring. It will come together.
7. Fold in half of the crushed Oreos.
8. Pour the batter into the prepared baking dish. Evenly distribute the rest of the Oreos onto the brownies and push them partially into the batter.
9. Bake the brownies for 25-30 minutes. Let them sit for an hour before cutting into them. They will need time to cool down and settle!