The next recipe for Percy Jackson week is Oatmeal Cookie Owls. Athena (rather her children) play a huge part in the books. They're smart, strong and all together awesome. When thinking about what food to do for them I thought, obviously, it needed to be owl shaped no matter what. I don't know why I decided on oatmeal sugar cookies, but I'm glad I did. They have potential. They're good and totally passable, but not amazing. I think they'd really benefit from some icing. I might ice them tomorrow and repost my thoughts. Until then here's the veganized version of this recipe:
- 1 cup white sugar
- 1 cup vegan margarine
- 2 ener-g egg replacer "eggs"
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 cup rolled oats
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
2. Cream sugar, margarine, "eggs" and vanilla. Mix in oats, 1 3/4 c. flour, baking soda, salt and cinnamon. Dough should be roll-able. Add the rest of the flour if needed.
4. Roll dough to 1/4 inch thick. With an owl shaped cookie cutter, cut out the shapes. Place on ungreased baking sheet and bake for 10 minutes.
Hope that all makes sense! I'm a little under the weather tonight.
UPDATE: No need to ice. They're so much better the next day. YUM.