....whaaaaat? There's a gelato stand at the Hollywood Farmer's Market that sells awesome vegan sorbets and (sadly) not vegan, but amazing looking gelatos. They make their goodies using only things from the farmer's market. Many a Sunday afternoon I have enjoyed Spicy Strawberry or Cucumber sorbet while my husband enjoyed his Brown Sugar Vanilla Bean or Mint Cacao Nib gelato. While the sorbets are fantastic, I'm always a little jealous of the flavors he gets to experience. Knowing this, he said "This is silly..we'll just make them vegan." I love him.
We decided to start with Mint and Cacao Nibs. He told me that the NV version was unlike any mint ice-cream/gelato he's ever had. The mint is not from an extract, it's from leaves infused into the milk. It has a strong mint flavor, but with an herb-ness not present in extract.
He found a nonvegan recipe online, bought some Mimicream and had a go. Perfection. The mint is definitely strong and herby and SO FRESH. The cacao nibs offer great texture and a chocolate element that isn't sweet. The nibs really tie the ice-cream together. If you like mint chocolate chip ice-cream, this recipe will blow your mind.
Mint Cacao Nib Ice-Cream
- 2 c. Mimicream, sweetened
- 2/3 c. sugar
- 3/4 c. fresh mint leaves (Any will do, I'm sure. We used spearmint.)
- 1/2 c. rice milk
- 1/2 c. soy creamer
2. Once steeped, scoop out the mint leaves and discard. Add the rice milk and soy creamer to the infused Mimicream. Cover and let cool completely (about an hour or two in the fridge or overnight.)
3. Pour into your ice cream maker and run according the manufacturer's directions. Once done, stir in the cacao nibs.
4. Cover and put in the freezer. Eat right away OR let it freeze at least two hours for maximum tastiness.
Veganized from this recipe.