God, I miss Texas. I miss Texas so much, that I will go through pain staking efforts to feel like I'm there. I pretend I still live in Austin so much that it's bordering crazy. People say "Man it's hot" and I say "Well that's TEXAS for ya!" and then they look at me like I'm nuts. Which I kind of am.
Naturally I cook a lot of Tex-Mex and Texas food. I have to. If I'm going to stay slightly sane, I need to at least eat like I'm in Texas. Yesterday I was feeling particularly homesick so I made kick ass migas. I ate them right out of the pan and they were delicious. Had I not been so desperate, I would have served them with some refried black beans, tortillas and homefries.
- 6 - 8 oz firm tofu, lightly pressed and crumbled
- 1/4 tsp. black salt
- 1 - 2 tbls. oil
- 2 corn tortillas, cut into strips
- 1/2 an onion, diced
- 1 jalapeno, small diced
- vegan cheddar cheese to taste ( I use a teeny amount, but you may prefer to load it on)
- 1/4 c. salsa
- salt and pepper to taste
2. In a medium skillet, heat the oil over md - high heat. Add the tortillas and fry, stirring often for 3 minutes or so. Add the onions and jalapeno. Cook until onions are translucent.
3. Add the tofu and scramble. When the tofu has browned to your liking, sprinkle with cheese. When the cheese is melted, add salt and pepper to taste. Add more black salt if you want it to taste more eggy. Top with salsa and serve.