This meal is healthy in some ways and unhealthy in others. The fried seitan is, well, fried. However, the okra and mashed potatoes make up for it. The okra is breaded and baked but somehow comes out tasting fried. The mashed potatoes are actually a mashed potato and cauliflower combo. A great way to sneak vegetables into something starchy. The recipe for the fried seitan is from VeganMom so I've happily posted a link on the bottom of this entry. The only thing I changed in her recipe was the method of frying. She pan fried and I deep fried.
Mashed Potatoes and Cauliflower
(makes 1 serving)
- 1 md. sized yukon gold potato, washed and cubed
- 1 good handful of cauliflower florets (about 3/4 - 1 cup)
- vegan margarine (I use Earth Balance), garlic powder, salt and pepper to taste
1. Put cauliflower and potatoes in a md. sized pot. Cover with water and bring to a boil. Continue to boil until you can pierce a potato with a fork. Drain.
2. Mash potatoes and cauliflower with a potato masher or fork*. It should mash with no problems. Add margarine, garlic powder and salt and pepper to taste.
* This leaves the cauliflower a little lumpy which I like. If you want a smoother mash, use an immersion blender. Always mash before adding milk or margarine as the cauliflower tends to be watery and creamy on it's own.
This recipe isn't for any portion size. It's just my formula.
- Okra, washed and sliced
- Any non-dairy milk
- Salt and Pepper To Taste
1. Preheat oven to 350.
2. Mix 1 part flour to 2 parts cornmeal. Season with salt and pepper to taste.
3. Add a little bit of milk to the sliced okra. Just enough to make it slimy.
4. Put okra and flour mix in a paper bag and shake.
5. Place the breaded okras on an ungreased baking sheet and spray with canola oil spray.
6. Bake for 10 minutes. Give the pan a shake and re-spray. Bake another 10 minutes or until slightly brown and crunchy.
Check out Your Vegan Mom for the stellar Fried Seitan Recipe!
Annnd the survey from Whoa Wren:
1. Favorite non-dairy milk?
Rice milk! No favorite brand so far. We buy Trader Joes rice milk because it's easy. I like it ok :-)
2. What are the top 3 dishes/recipes you are planning to cook?
Fried Pickles, Oatmeal Sugar Cookies and Magnolia Cafe Gingerbread Pancakes
3. Topping of choice for popcorn?
Salt and sometimes nutritional yeast
4. Most disastrous recipe/meal failure?
My first time making tofu was pretty bad. Lets just say that neither pressing nor marinating took place.
5. Favorite pickled item?
Cucumbers :-). Or cabbage.
6. How do you organize your recipes?
Snacks, Desserts and Breads, Veggies, Proteins Soups and Entrees, Pasta & Grains, Drinks and Misc
7. Compost, trash, or garbage disposal?
Trash and disposal.
8. If you were stranded on an island and could only bring 3 foods...what would they be (don't worry about how you'll cook them)?
Tofu, chocolate and bread (or rice!)
9. Fondest food memory from your childhood?
Oh there are so many. I always loved Fall time at my Grandmothers's. She's one of those people that decorates the house according to the season. She always had chex mix made and pizzelles out. I also loved visiting my Oma. Waking up to the smell of S.O.S is amazing.
10. Favorite vegan ice cream?
Good Karma Rice Divine anything. Or anything with Oreos.
11. Most loved kitchen appliance?
My small pot.
12. Spice/herb you would die without?
13. Cookbook you have owned for the longest time?
Vegan Planet. My first vegan cookbook. Well loved and used.
14. Favorite flavor of jam/jelly?
Marmalade or berry.
15. Favorite vegan recipe to serve to an omni friend?
Vegan Explosion Queso! And/or Wheatsville Popcorn Tofu
16. Seitan, tofu, or tempeh?
Tofu usually, seitan sometimes.
17. Favorite meal to cook (or time of day to cook)?
That's hard. Lunch I guess. It's usually the tastiest and healthiest for me. Otherwise dinner. Or breakfast. Ugh. Next question.
18. What is sitting on top of your refrigerator?
Cereal, mixing bowls, whirley pop, tray, toaster oven, rice maker, press'n seal, sandwich bags
19. Name 3 items in your freezer without looking.
Edamame, cocoa nibs, ginger
20. What's on your grocery list?
Too big to list! Various fruits and veggies, almonds, oats, cornmeal, flax seeds, coconut, tofu, pretzels, maple syrup
21. Favorite grocery store?
Wheatsville Co-op! But I live in LA so Trader Joe's I guess.
22. Name a recipe you'd love to veganize, but haven't yet.
Sopapillas. It's gonna happen this month!
23. Food blog you read the most (besides Isa's because I know you check it everyday). Or maybe the top 3?
24. Favorite vegan candy/chocolate?
25. Most extravagant food item purchased lately?
Wine. Always wine.
26. Ingredients you are scared to work with?
I'm pretty adventurous ;)