GOD, I've missed Cheez Its. Yeah, I've had the Eco-Planet crackers. I've even made the Cheezy Quackers. While those are delicious, they taste like Nutritional Yeast Its.
But oh my sweet Daiya. Thanks to the magic vegan cheese, I was able to make vegan cheese crackers that totally taste like Cheez Its. In a scary, "are you sure these are vegan?" sort of way. But they Totally Are.
Make often and enjoy!
Daiya Not Cheez Its
- 1/4 c. vegan margarine (I use Earth Balance)
- 3/4 c. Daiya cheddar cheese, shredded
- 3/4 c. all purpose flour
- 1/4 tsp. salt
- 1/4 tsp. pepper
- 1/4 tsp. cayenne pepper
- 1/2 tsp. paprika
- 1 Tbls. (more or less) cold water
2. Add enough water to bring the dough together into a ball.
3. Knead for a few minutes and let it rest for half an hour. Maybe use this time to preheat the oven to 350.
4. Roll the rested dough to 1/8" thick and shape and cut however you want. Place the little crackers on an ungreased cookie sheet and top them with salt. Lightly pat the salt into the dough a little bit to make sure it sticks.
5. Bake 10 - 15 minutes, checking the oven often to shake things around. Cooking time really depends on so many factors, so it may take more or less time than what I suggest. I find that 10 - 15 minutes is pretty perfect for my oven. If you want them to taste as Cheez It-y as possible, let them brown a little. The crackery they are, the better.