Otherwise known as mushroom rice balls, scrambled tofu and miso soup.
This is the third meal I've made for the Asian Vegan Kitchen project. I've never been crazy about mushrooms, but I made a promise to make as many recipes as possible, and these rice balls were possible. And......... they're delicious! The recipe is rice, burdock, carrots and mushrooms cooked in shiitake dashi broth and rolled into balls. There's some sake and soy sauce in them, too. I'm opening up to mushrooms :-)
The scrambled tofu was different from any other scrambled tofu that I've made. The flavor profile was unique and gingery and fresh. I'll be making this A LOT. And even though I said I wasn't going to post a bunch of recipes from the book, I'm posting this recipe. It's just too good not to share.
(from The Asian Vegan Kitchen)
- 1 1/4 lb. firm tofu, pressed
- 1 tbls. vegetable oil
- 1/2 inch cube fresh ginger, peeled and grated
- 1 scallion, sliced
- 4 fresh shiitake mushrooms caps, diced
- 3 tbls. bell pepper, any color, diced
- 3 tsp. soy sauce
- pinch chili flakes
- pinch salt
- chopped chives (garnish)
- kaiware radish sprouts (garnish)
- shichimi pepper, to serve
2. Put the tofu in the pan and mix with a wooden spoon until crumbled. Keep stirring for 2 - 3 minutes, until excess liquid has been absorbed. Add the soy sauce, chili flakes and salt.
3. Serve garnished with chives and radish sprouts. Sprinkle with shichimi pepper to taste.